Dienstag, 14. Juli 2009

Bemvindu!

After three exhausting days of travelling (Graz-Munich by train, Munich-Doha, Doha-Bali, one night in Bali, Bali-Dili) I finally arrived in Dili - tired but exited about the upcoming two months I'm supposed to spend here! I got some first expressions already on the plane from Bali to Dili. It was packed with "Malai" (that's what "white" people are called here) but none of them seemed to be a tourist - most of them are expatriat staff working for UN (United Nations) or other (I)NGOs (International/Non-governmental Organizations).

Elmar, Austrian Red Cross Delegate, picked me up from the airport and took me directly to the Red Cross Headquarter (HQ). Located at the other end of the city, it was a good possibility for me to get a first impression of Dili!

Even though it is the capital of Timor-Leste, Dili seems to be a calm, rural, medium-sized village. Only the tiny "center" (which are a few streets with some small shops and restaurants) could lead to the impression of a busy city life. Anyway - traffic is just terrible! So many small motorbikes between huge (UN) cars, a complex system of one-way roads and a few traffic lights (which are a nice landmark but everyone is ignoring them)... I also have to get used to the left-hand-driving system. And there is police everywhere - a mixture of UNPOL (UN Police), Portuguese Police and the new Timorese Police - which are trying to share their responsibilities.



After a quick presentation in the Red Cross Headquarter the driver took me to my new home which is just a short walking distance from the HQ. Located in the compound of some local families, I'm sharing one of the houses with three Australian expatriats who are living next door. My appartment is huge, clean and it seems to be safe. In fact, the only fear I might have is that some of the pigs or dogs could enter my appartment illegally!

As days are short in tropical regions it's getting dark around 6.30pm and daylight starts at 6.30am. I really should get used to waking up with the sounds of carking chicken in front of my window!

The view from my appartment's terrace:


My appartment:

I hope to post some more pictures soon!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen